The Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA) is announcing their Becoming Me program. This special collaboration with Penguin Random House and Former First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama follows Mrs. Obama’s recent publication, Becoming: Adapted for Young Readers. The program offers a unique opportunity for Girl Scouts to embark on their journeys to become their best selves. The program will include a virtual event with Mrs. Obama, and will walk girls through earning three badges at each Girl Scout level.
“Mrs. Obama is a cultural leader and a champion for girls and women,” said GSUSA Interim CEO Judith Batty in a press release. “Her journey described in Becoming closely aligns with our mission of building girls of courage, confidence, and character. It is a story of sharing joys and triumphs, as well as the bumps and bruises along the way. Our Becoming Me program will challenge participants to look inside themselves to define who they are and who they want to become, just as Mrs. Obama does in Becoming.”
The virtual event will take place on Thursday, May 6 to kick off the Becoming Me program. After that, girls will be able to participate in the Becoming program. The program will include:
- A six to eight week experience that is centered around core themes from Mrs. Obama’s Becoming: Adapted for Young Readers which align with the Girl Scout mission.
- Journal activities through which participants reflect on their personal experiences as they answer questions such as, “Who are you,” and “Who do you want to become?”
- A facilitator guide to help volunteers steer Girl Scouts through their journeys. This includes free digital downloads, such as a modified Becoming journal content and an excerpt from Becoming: Adapted for Young Readers
- Admission to the virtual event featuring a conversation between Girl Scouts and Mrs. Obama, during which she’ll explore the themes of Becoming and how they relate to Girl Scouts’ and young people’s experience stoday
- An exclusive Becoming Me patch for option purchase.
Girl Scouts’ Becoming Me program will be available at no cost to any interested Girl Scouts enrolled for the 2021-22 membership year. Members who join or renew by April 30 will be able to attend the Becoming Me event with Mrs. Obama, which is open to members.
For more information, check out the Girl Scouts website.