The Arts Commission and Imagination Station invite you and your family to get creative. We want you to recreate architecture and sculptures around the City of Toledo in any building material you want such as Legos, K’nex, Lincoln Logs, foam core, found items, etc. You are only limited by your imagination! Submissions can also be created with LEGO Digital Designer (LDD), free software that lets you build models with virtual LEGO bricks.
The Glass City has an impressive collection of public art and architecture with over 50 large-scale sculptures, murals, and functional structures by noted artists from across the country. Many of these pieces were acquired through the pioneering 1977 One Percent For Art ordinance that set aside one percent of Toledo’s Capital Improvement Budget for the purchase, conservation, and public education of art. You can see more information about this project here or watch the YouTube video here.
Everyone, regardless of age, is eligible to participate. A parent or guardian must submit on behalf of a minor.
HOW TO SUBMIT:
- Build your version of a sculpture or architectural feature found in the City of Toledo in your choice of building material, or create your own sculpture or building inspired by Toledo public art and architecture.
- Take a photo of your creation and upload the image to Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #buildwithustoledo. Tag The Arts Commission on Facebook using @ArtCommission and Instagram using @theartscommission. Tag the Imagination Station on Facebook using @imaginationstationtoledo and Instagram using @istscience. By tagging The Arts Commission and/or Imagination Station you are giving permission for your photo(s) to be republished.
- Make sure to “like” or “follow” both The Arts Commission and the Imagination Station on Facebook and Instagram so that we can share and see your posts.
- If you don’t use social media, you can email the images to email@example.com with the email subject “Build With Us submission” and we will share them to our social media feeds on Fridays.
- In the post, please include the name of the public art piece, piece of architecture or Toledo landmark you are recreating. You can also give a brief description of how you made your recreation.
Please upload images between June 1 and June 30, 2020.