Write an ode to your ZIP Code!
Toledo-area residents can enter this free poetry competition by submitting a poem based on their ZIP Code.
Each entry should be a five-line, acrostic, haiku-like poem, where the number of words in each line is dictated by the corresponding digit in your ZIP Code.
This year, there are three age categories: two youth categories (ages 11 and younger, and ages 12-17) and one adult (ages 18+) category.
Top entries will be featured in the Toledo City Paper and Toledo Area Parent, and the authors will be invited to perform their poem in a special event in April. Winners selected from adult and youth categories will receive cash prizes.
Submissions run Tuesday, February 1 through Tuesday, February 15
- Poems must be five lines each, with the number of words in each line determined by the corresponding digit in your ZIP Code.
- No more than three submissions per poet will be accepted.
- All submissions will be juried and published online.
- TO BE CONSIDERED, ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE SUITABLE FOR PUBLIC CONSUMPTION.
- Employees of presenting partner organizations are not eligible to enter.
- Judges’ decisions are final and binding.
- Winners will be notified by email.
You and your kids can submit entries on the Toledo City Paper website when the contest begins.